Assistant Professor of History and Classics
curriculum vitae (pdf)
Professor Papakonstantinou is a historian of Ancient Greek social and cultural history (law, sport, commensality, magic), especially of the archaic and classical period. He has written or edited three books on the subject, including, most recently, his edited collection on Sport, Bodily Culture and Classical Antiquity in Modern Greece. He also works on Greek epigraphy, Greek literature, and Classical Reception.
Professor Papakonstantinou's recent classes include "Mediterranean Traditions: Family, Society and the Divine," "Sport in the Ancient World," and "The Ancient World: Greece."
Articles and Chapters:
"Law, Litigation and Sport in Ancient Greece” forthcoming in Thomas Scanlon and Alison Futrell (eds), Oxford Handbook of Sport and Spectacle in the Ancient World, Oxford University Press: Oxford 2013.
- "The Athletic Body in Classical Athens: Literary and Historical Perspectives” forthcoming in S. Chaudhuri, J.A. Mangan and A. Tadié (eds), Sport, Literature, Society: International Historical Perspectives, Routledge: London 2013.
- “Litigants and Jurors in Athenian Judiciary defixiones” forthcoming in Ángel Martínez Fernández (ed.), Festschrift Manuel García Teijeiro, Madrid 2013.
- “Ambivalent Masculinities: Greek Sport and the Construction of Imperial Manliness in Victorian Britain” forthcoming in S. Collins, P. Horton and Z. Papakonstantinou (eds), Manufacturing Masculinity: Global Reflections, Routledge: London 2013.
- “Ancient Critics of Greek Sport and Spectacle” forthcoming in Paul Christesen and Donald Kyle (eds), A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity, Wiley-Blackwell: London 2012.
- “Youth Sport Participation and Victory in Archaic Greece” in W. Petermandl and C. Ulf (eds), Youth – Sports – Olympic Games, Weidmann: Hildesheim 2012, 121-130.
- “‘A delight and a burden’ (Hes. Sc. 400): Wine and Wine-Drinking in Archaic Greece” forthcoming in Ancient Society 42 (2012).
- “Sport” in D. Clayman (ed.), Oxford Bibliographies Online: Classics, Oxford University Press: Oxford and New York, 2011. Click here for more information.
- “Sport, Bodily Culture and Classical Antiquity in Modern Greece” in Eleni Fournaraki and Zinon Papakonstantinou (eds), Sport, Bodily Culture and Classical Antiquity in Modern Greece, Routledge: London 2011, 1-9.
- “New Directions in Classical Reception, Sport and the Body in Modern Greece” in Eleni Fournaraki and Zinon Papakonstantinou (eds), Sport, Bodily Culture and Classical Antiquity in Modern Greece, Routledge: London 2011, 180-182.
- “Agariste’s Suitors: Sport, Feasting and Elite Politics in Sixth-Century BC Greece” forthcoming in Nikephoros 23 (2010).
Work in Progress:
- Cursing for Justice: Magic and the Lawcourts in Classical Athens (monograph in preparation)
- Attic Binding Curses: Text, Translation, Commentary, (edition of Attic binding curses, in collaboration with Werner Rieß and T. H. M. Gellar-Goad, in preparation).
- Manufacturing Masculinity. Global Perspectives, (co-edited with Sandra Collins and Peter Horton), in preparation, projected publication date late 2013.